Tree pruning services
Reliable service by trained arborists
General Tree Service's professionally trained and ISA certified arborists have been pruning trees and shrubs in the Portland-Vancouver metro area for over 85 years. Specialized training, equipment and an 'eye' for what needs to be done are tools of our trade. As members of the TCIA, ISA and as arboricultural experts, we are dedicated to working with you to create a healthy landscape.
Pruning is done for 2 purposes
- Hazard reduction
Hazard reduction pruning is exactly what it sounds like-pruning to eliminate a possible hazard or danger. For example, removing dead limbs hanging over a park bench so they don't fall and hurt someone.
Maintenance pruning is done to maintain or improve the health and structure of a tree and can include hazard reduction pruning.
Portland Oregon metro area tree pruning services
Pruning 101: Types of pruning
- Crown cleaning-pruning off dead, dying, diseased or weak branches
- Crown thinning-pruning branches to increase light penetration, air movement and reduce weight
- Crown raising (lift pruning)-pruning off lower branches to provide clearance
- Crown reduction-in particular cases and for the appropriate type of plant, pruning to decrease the height or spread of a tree to reduce encroachment to a structure, other trees, etc.
- Crown Restoration-pruning to improve the structure and appearance of a tree. This service is done to restore the canopy structure of either a tree that had been subject to poor pruning in the past or to help restore a healthy canopy in a diseased tree
In addition to the types of pruning already described, General Tree provides specialized pruning to address specific needs, such as:
- Detail pruning
- Containment pruning
- Production fruit tree pruning
- Ornamental fruit tree pruning
- Structural pruning
- Vista pruning
General Tree Service has been caring for the trees and shrubs around our facility for over 25 years. Their expertise and concern for our landscape is why we continue to partner with them.
- Ed N., Portland Oregon
Did you know improper pruning can damage a tree?
The trees and shrubs in your yard need regular care and maintenance to keep them healthy and looking their best and this includes pruning. Pruning is best done by professionals who understand how a tree responds to each cut so long term viability is maintained.
Keeping everyone safe
We are always concerned about the safety of our crews and take particular care to train and supervise all employees in proper safety procedures. Climbers use tree saddles and safety lines when working above 15 feet. Ground crew members wear hard hats and place safety devices to control pedestrian and vehicular traffic and assist in safely lowering large limbs. Appropriate head, eye and ear protection is worn by all crew members. Only trained employees are allowed to work within 10 feet of an energized line.
General Tree has cared for our hundred year old trees as well as keeping our lawn and gardens beautiful for over a decade at our home on Reed College Place. We can recommend them with enthusiasm!
- Robert M., Portland, Oregon
Tree and shrub removals
When removal of a tree or shrub is necessary, we remove it as low as possible to near ground level.
A complete removal includes the stump and major roots within 2 feet of the stump with the area being smoothed out as best as possible. Stump grinding is also available.